Monday 14 March 2011

EVs: 1000 reasons why: No. 3

Next up in an occasional series called EVs: 1000 reasons why.

No. 3: Joining the tribe

The first car I bought was an old MG B GT. A two seater 'sports' car that handled terribly, accelerated slowly, was dangerous around corners in the wet and I loved it. Why? Because when I purchased that car I joined a tribe. Every time another MG went past the driver would wave, flash his headlights, and smile. I didn't know these people, yet, I knew them very well. They were dreamers who spent more money than they needed to on their car (on repairs mostly). I just knew they were cool and of course they were all (in my memory at least) extremely good looking and intelligent. They knew the joy of driving an MG and of being an MG owner regardless of what other more practical and sensible people said and thought and bought. MINI owners have a similar feeling today.

But drive an EV and you will know what it is like to belong as an outsider. A leader of change. Someone who gets it. Someone with high social status and respect. Someone strangers want to talk to and whom they admire. Someone who can connect not just across the road but  across the world, via Twitter and Facebook - if that's your thing.

Weird but true.